2022 OKUMIDORI GIFU SENCHA
Intense umami; notes of edamame and misoshiro on a vibrantly green brew.
This tea was selected for the September issue of our Steamed Tea Club Subscription
GROWER: Suzumura, Kakamu and Taniguchi.
MICRO-TERROIR: Kurokawa (黑川), which at an altitude of 650m, represents the highest micro-terroir in Gifu-Shirakawa. The cold climate of this region results in traditionally later harvests vs. most other parts of Japan; the weather in Suzumura San's tea is even cooler.
GPS: 35°35'30"N 137°20'49"E | 650m a.s.l
CULTIVAR: OKUMIDORI (おくみどり) has long been one of our favourite cultivars. With rich umami and low astringency, this relatively rare cultivar (reportedly accounting for less than 3% of Japan’s yearly harvest) was first developed for sencha, in Shizuoka, in the 1970s. In Suzumura San's farm, this cultivar adapted very well to cooler springs.
WATER 70℃ 240ml | 8oz TEA 4g STEEP STYLE 60" | multiple steeps
ABOUT THE ORIGIN
Gifu's Shirakawa Guchi is a fairly unexplored yet fascinating Japanese terroir.
North of Nagoya, not far from the battlefield of Sekigahara, this terroir is too rocky and too cold to compete in production quantities with more famous origins like Kagoshima and Shizuoka.
We visited this beautiful place thanks to an invitation from our good friend Okuma San, who was hired to help local growers market their (we strongly believe) delicious yet quite unrecognized tea.
Some cool facts:
• The harvest usually happens 2-3 weeks after that of most gardens in the Uji / Kyoto regions. The micro-climate is quite cold.
• We found a bunch of beautiful, wild tea plants scattered all over the cedar forest. Sun-dried on the dashboard of our truck… these leaves brew delicious tea!
• Until the mid 20th century, most people traditionally made Kamairi (pan-fired) tea in this region; Yuji San demonstrated a ‘country style’ technique.
• The village onsen is fire!
• They have a 100-year-old kabuki theatre where locals practice this most interesting art.
SUN 12:00PM - 7:00PMMON - THURS 12:00PM - 6:00PMFRI - SAT 12:00PM - 8:00PM
Location2208 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC1.604.558.0500
For general inquiries or feedback, please submit the form below.
For inquiries or feedbacks regarding events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will get back to you as soon as possible.