GUIDED EXPERIENCE | Matcha with Noriko San
This is a guided experience for 2-3 friends; it takes approximately 45 minutes and is offered by reservation only.
During these hot summer months, your experience includes:
- A welcome to our tea bar.
By the time you sit down, we will have freshly brewed 'iced gyokuro' and sparkling water. If you'd like to learn how to brew this at home, Noriko San will gladly show you how.
- We will serve each guest a beautiful wagashi (Japanese sweets, often used in the tea ceremony), crafted locally by Ogishima San. Noriko San will explain the role of these sweets in a ceremony.
- Noriko San will whisk some competition-grade matcha (we feature a new one every month), following simplified guidelines of her tea school. Depending on your taste, you may choose your tea to be stronger or milder.
Optional: if any guests wish to whisk their own matcha, they are welcome to do so; Noriko San can offer assistance if needed.
Noriko San may also explain a few basics of the Japanese Tea Ceremony: Approaching the tea bowl, communicating with your host and fellow guests, appreciating your tea...
After the main course, we may have a few minutes left for more questions; if you like, we may also brew some off-the-beaten-track Japanese tea, for you and your friends to wind down.
BONUS! Each guest receives a $10 credit to purchase any tin (or refill pack) of matcha on our menu. Must be used same-day, in-store.
- Please make your reservation at least 1 week in advance; this helps Noriko San and our team to plan accordingly.
- Please drop us a note should you have any special requirements; we will do our best to accommodate them.
- Bookings are available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 4 pm, and 5 pm.
- Please be ready to show proof of vaccination for the day of booking.
CANCELLATIONS / REFUNDS
- To cancel or reschedule without penalty, please do so at least 48 hours in advance.
- If a request to cancel or reschedule is submitted within 48 hours of your reservation, 50% of your payment will be non-refundable and non-transferrable.
ABOUT NORIKO SAN
Noriko Aramaki, our resident Japanese expert, is trained in the Omotesenke school of Japanese tea practice, a unique technique passed down for over 400 years. It is a living culture handed down.
Its significance is “a communication of the minds of host and guests through the enjoyment of delicious tea together”.
HEALTH / SAFETY
These past two years have been stressful for all, and we can't wait to increase human interaction; as COVID is still a problem, we:
- keep group sizes small
- emphasize hand-washing and sanitization of equipment
- maintain a reasonable distance between our guests.
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
- A welcome to our tea bar.
MON - SUN 12:00PM - 6:00PM
Location2208 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver, BC1.604.558.0500
For general inquiries or feedback, please submit the form below.
For inquiries or feedbacks regarding events, please email email@example.com.
We will get back to you as soon as possible.